Thursday, March 23, 2006

Childhood Under Fire

I just want to take this opportunity to shill for someone. In this case, I think it's a fine thing that I do.

The book cover pictured at left, My Childhood Under Fire by Nadja Halilbegovich is a wonderful, if at times heart wrenching, story of a then 12 year old Nadja's experience living in Sarajevo during the Bosnian War. The book published by Kids Can Press of Canada is written for children, say 9 or 10 years and older, but is a good read for teens or adults as well.

Nadja was a classmate of my older son at Butler University in Indianapolis. I am certain that he was initially totally smitten by her, but they evolved into great friends. We came to know her as well. Nadja is a great singer, musician. actress, writer and public speaker. She has toured over both the US and Canada to promote peace. She is a Muslim.

A few years ago, Nadja was one of 74 people featured in a book by one Michael Collopy called Architects of Peace published by New World Library in 2000. She shares space with as varied a sampling of folks as you could imagine including Maya Angelou, Nelson Mandela to Jane Goodall, Margaret Thatcher, Bella Abzug and Bianca Jagger. It, too, is a good read.

Nadja's book is short, only about a 120 pages or so. It is available on Amazon. I know I should link it, but I just can't seem to master that skill. I believe that Architects of Peace is also available on Amazon. Remember: RIF (Reading is Fun.)

TLS

No comments: